Class starts at 7:00 pm so that we can finish by 7:45. Our continuous focus will be on increasing strength, flexibility, balance and breath awareness. Here’s the outline for tonight’s class:
Warm Up – approx. 5 min
DEAD BUG BREATHING
- Lying on your back, raise your legs up to a 90 degree position like the position of a dead bug.
- Breathe from your lower abdomen, inhale in through your nose and out through your mouth.
DEAD BUG HEEL TAPS
- With your mat closer to the wall, in a dead bug pose reach your arms behind and place them against the wall.
- While pushing into the wall, inhale and on exhale tap your right heel to the floor.
- Inhale raising the leg back up and exhale lowering your left heel to the floor.
- Keep pushing your arms into the wall throughout the movements.
- 10 reps.
- Feet slightly apart, reach your right arm and then the left up. 20 reps.
TENNIS BALL FOOT ROLLS
- Standing up, place a tennis ball under your right foot and roll the ball under your foot.
- Concentrate on the area you feel the most tension.
- Change to the left foot.
- 30 seconds on each side.
CAT POSE for CENTER ALIGNMENT
- On all fours, inhale and stretch the back up and rounded like a cat and on exhale, lower the body down.
- Repeat …inhale stretch up and exhale lowering the body.
- 8 reps
SPHINX POSE INTO CHILD’S POSE
While on all fours, inhale and on exhale stretch forward and into a forward lying pose.
- Inhale and rise up into a sphinx pose and then inhale and stretch back into Child’s pose.
- Inhale and exhale lowering the body into a lying position.
- Repeat. 8 reps
Strength, Flexibility and Endurance — approx. 20 min
*KNEELING T-SPINE EXTENSION
- On all fours, turn your right hand up and inhaling, raise your arm up.
- On exhale, stretch your arm as far out in front as you can away from your body.
- 8 per side
HIP ROCK BACK
- On all fours, inhale and on exhale, stretch back reaching your rear to your feet.
- On inhale, come up and exhale stretching back.
- 8 reps
GLUTEUS MAXIMUS STRETCH
- In a sitting position, extend right leg back behind and left leg into the front of the body.
- Position 1 place the arms on the floor on the outside left of the leg. Inhale and on exhale, lower and stretch the body down towards the hands. 6 reps
- Position 2 place the arms on the floor in front of the left knee. Inhale and on exhale, lower and stretch the body downwards toward the hands. 6 reps
- Position 3 place the arms on the floor stretched out between the legs. Inhale and on exhale, lower and stretch the body downwards toward the hands. 6 reps.
- Repeat other side. 18 reps on each side
*STANDING SINGLE LEG RDL’s
- In a standing position, raise the right leg up and behind you.
- In this position, raise both arms up and out in front of you.
- 8 per leg
*2 LEG GLUTE BRIDGE with single leg extensions
- Lying on your back with knees bent raise your hips off the floor.
- Inhale and raise your right leg up and hold for 45 seconds.
- Repeat other side. 45 second holds
- 4. Kneeling Quad Stretch
KNEELING QUAD STRETCH
- Kneeling in front of a chair, reach behind and holding your right foot, pull it up and towards you.
- Repeat other side. 8 per side
KNEELING HIP FLEXOR STRETCH
- Kneeling, bring the right foot forward making sure that the right knee is directly over the right ankle and the right hip is bent to about 90 degrees.
- Place both hands gently on the right thigh to help maintain a straight, tall spine.
- Lean forward into your right hip while keeping your left knee pressed into the ground. Do not allow your pelvis to tip forward or your back to arch.
- To increase the stretch to the left hip flexors, squeeze and contract the glute muscles of your left hip.
- 8 per side
Breathwork (approximately 5 mins.)
- A guided breathing awareness exercise to help integrate the mind and body. Many people often have difficulty breathing properly because the back muscles and the space around and between the ribs are too tight. Increasing awareness and learning how to deep breathe helps improve balance and reduce stress.