We just wanted to keep our members informed of “hopefully” an expansion this summer to our existing facilities. We also wanted to get your feedback and/or ideas before anything is set in stone.
Over the last 3 months, we’ve been meeting with various contractors about adding a 80’x140′ (11,000 square feet) indoor sports facility to the west of our current building. It will house:
- a 60’x90′ multi-sport court for basketball, volleyball, and hopefully tennis, which is slightly bigger than the high school court at GHS. It will be big enough to host a regulation men’s 5 on 5 basketball game, or host two parallel kid’s (ages 3rd-6th grade) games simultaneously. The court will have a total of 6 hoops.
- a 40’x84′ indoor turf area that will include 2 batting cages, and be big enough for parents to hit their children ground balls and play catch, as well as host indoor soccer games for little kids.
- A concession stand and plenty of seating for sporting events.
This allows us to convert our existing basketball court into a turf athletic training facility that will contain more free weights and racks. This should free up enough space in our current 24 hour access gym for more cardio equipment like rowers and steppers. We’re also hoping to turn the new athletic training facility into 24 hour access like the rest of the gym.
Our initial thought is we’d open the new indoor court from 6am – 11 PM 7 days per week, 365 days per year. Access will be similar to our current facility with keycards. Families will be able to purchase a family membership for it (this membership will be separate from the current gym membership), and use the batting cages, turf area, and multisport court as much as they’d like, except when we have tournaments or leagues going on.
The new facility will allow us to offer:
- basketball leagues and tournaments for kids from 1st grade through adults
- volleyball leagues and tournaments for kids 6th grade through adults
- Hitting and pitching lessons
- Individual and team basketball lessons
- Event Hosting for birthday parties, etc
- Tennis leagues (?)
- Dance classes: Country Line Dancing, Zumba, etc (?)
We’re hoping that the expansion will allow us to bring in customers from surrounding communities that purchase items from not only Ageless, but also the various restaurants and retail stores in Gillespie and Benld. For example, a 10 team basketball tournament would bring approximately 150-200 people from surrounding communities to Gillespie.
It will look very similar to the picture below:
We’d love to get your feedback and any potential ideas you may have. Like we said, it’s still in the works, as a lot of things could go potentially wrong, but we’re hoping…